A Premier Hotel Management & Investment Company with Strategic Vision and Strong Core Values
Since 1987, Pacific Hospitality Group has maintained a strategic vision and strong core values as guiding principles for business success. With luxury hotel properties from Napa Valley to Southern California, PHG's growing portfolio of hotel and resort investments reinforces the company's cohesive vision and ensuing success.
PHG manages, develops, finances, and owns hotels and resorts located in California, Hawaii, Arizona and Louisiana. We currently own and manage 11 hotels and resorts, representing over 2,676 rooms and 203,650 square feet of premier indoor meeting and event space.
Are you a process driven leader and a good verbal communicator? Are you an enthusiastic individual who enjoys a team oriented environment?
If the answer is YES, The Meritage Resort and Spa is looking for you! Just like the wine that inspired its name, The Meritage Resort and Spa is the perfect blend of wine tasting, dining, spa, beautiful event spaces, romance and indulgence— all in one California Wine Country hotel.
Responsible for planning and directing food preparation in assigned Food & Beverage area(s) to ensure guests receive the highest level of service and quality on a daily and consistent basis.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Must wear non-slip, oil-resistant shoes. Follows all safety policies and procedures. Reports potential safety issues to manager whenever observed and takes immediate action to resolve in emergency situations. OSHA laws require the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when performing work duties that have the potential of risk to your health or safety. Team members will be trained in the proper use and care of assigned PPE if applicable. The hotel provides the required PPE. Team member has responsibility to report defective, damaged or lost PPE or equipment that does not fit properly to their Manager. Maintains strict compliance with hotel's Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) program and familiarizes self with current MSDS.
- Monitors SOPs to ensure consistent exceptional food is provided. Assists in developing and updating policies and procedures. Participates in weekly meeting with Culinary Management Team to ensure weekly goals, challenges, and food standards are met.
- Ensures guests receive outstanding, consistent, exceptional service by circulating through each dining area. Seeks opportunities to improve satisfaction and immediately handles any guest concerns or complaints.
- Monitors day-to-day kitchen operations to ensure standards of product presentation and service exceed guest expectations and meet or exceed property standards. Takes or recommends corrective action as needed.
- Manages subordinate team members in the responsible for restaurant food preparation. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training team members; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining team members; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Verifies payroll, reports sales, and generates related reports.
- Works to achieve budgeted revenues, controls expenses and maximizes profitability within assigned areas. Utilizes corporate approved computer programs to analyze forecasts, cost and revenue reports. Makes decisions and takes action based on that information to maximize profitability. Ensures quality and portion control while minimizing waste or loss of supplies to maintain profitability.
- Ensures all kitchen areas are clean and properly set up. Maintains sufficient inventory of food, supplies and equipment and orders as needed. Participates in weekly/monthly inventories. May prepare and submit liquor and supply orders. Ensures equipment is properly maintained. Ensures compliance with all food and beverage regulations.
- Follows all standard food handling, TIPS, sanitation and health department guidelines. Ensures compliance with federal, state, local and company health, safety, sanitation and alcohol awareness standards
- Reporting to work as scheduled (on time and on regular basis) is an essential function of the job.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Recommends merit decisions within budget or established guidelines.
- Recommends promotions or reclassifications within company policy.
- Responds to guest inquiries and coordinates special arrangements and requests.
- Assists in developing the annual budget for assigned area.
- Resolves guest complaints within scope of authority; otherwise refers the matter to management. Notifies supervisor and/or Security of all unusual events, circumstances, missing items, or alleged theft.
Qualifications (relevant experience, education and training):
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, team members may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. Work schedules will include working on holidays, weekends and alternate shifts.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, team members, guests and the general public. Must be able to speak, read, write and understand English to communicate with management, team members and guests. Bilingual Spanish a plus.
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Requires attention to detail. Must be able to solve problems and remain calm and alert if dealing with difficult guest, during busy activity periods or in an emergency situation.
- Ability to monitor labor as required by anticipating business activity while ensuring that positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Two years increasingly responsible culinary experience in hotel environment required. Prior supervisory experience desired.
- Completion of an approved Culinary Program or Apprenticeship. Associates degree in Culinary Arts preferred.
- Requires ability to lead others in the department by mentoring and providing training that results in staff that meets/exceeds guest expectations and provides a high level of guest satisfaction.
- Completes required training as scheduled.
- Requires ability to serve needs of guests through verbal face-to-face interactions. Contacts sometimes contain confidential/sensitive information so requires ability to use discretion. Must demonstrate positive attitude and professional demeanor. Requires strong communication and interpersonal skills and commitment to a high level of guest satisfaction.
- Requires ability to learn and use POS computer systems used at the hotel.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple tasks. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Must have a valid current Food Handlers Card or willingness and ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment.
- Must maintain a clean appearance and professional demeanor.
Special Skills & Abilities/Mental and Physical Demands:
While performing the duties of the job the team member regularly stands and walks for sustained periods of time. Works at a quick pace, maneuvering between functions occurring simultaneously. The team member regularly grasps objects such as cookware, knives, plate ware and glassware. The team member frequently feels the temperature of objects such as hot stoves and cookware. The team member regularly reaches
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.