Coordinates/oversees the activities of all food production employees in the preparation of menu items. Ensures that all food products are of the highest quality and are ready to serve in a timely manner.
- Reports directly to the Pastry Chef, Sous Chef
- Leads cooks when Pastry Chef and Sous Chef are not present
- Prepares all volume food inters according to standard recipes and specifications to ensure consistency of product
- Reads and understands Banquet Event Orders for upcoming week
- Produces large quantities of desserts uniformly
- Must adhere to control procedures for cost/quality
- Administers and ensures adherence to departmental guidelines, policies and procedures
- Checks and controls the proper storage an rotation of product, checking on portion control to maintain a quality product
- Practice inventory controls, including the preparation of and pick up of item from the storeroom
- Stores all food in refrigerated boxes including covers, labels and dates.
- Supervises cleaning of walk-ins, reach-in boxes, to ensure all equipment in working areas is clean and sanitary and in proper working condition, in order to comply with health department regulations
- Supervises/performs kitchen opening and closing operations
- Supervises food handlers in the preparation and production of all pastry items
- Organizes/assists food handlers in the performance of their duties as needed to ensure Loews standards for timely preparation/service of food are met
- Monitors all food preparation, production, holding and storage operations to ensure adherence to all Food Service Sanitation standards
- Reports all equipment maintenance needs to engineering
- Maintains area in a clean condition at all times.
- Will be required to work varying schedules that reflect the business needs of the hotel
- All other duties that are assigned.
- Promotes and applies teamwork skills at all times
- Notifies appropriate individual promptly and fully of all problems or unusual matters of significance.
- Is polite, friendly, and helpful to all guests, management and fellow employees
- Attends all appropriate hotel meetings and training sessions
- Maintains cleanliness and excellent condition of equipment and work area
- Executes emergency procedures in accordance with hotel standards
- Complies with required safety regulations and procedures
- Complies with hotel standards, policies and rules
- Recycles whenever possible
- Remains current with hotel information and changes
- Complies with hotel uniform and grooming standards
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Extensive knowledge of pastries and classical French desserts
- Knowledge of chocolate tempering and sugar working
- Some knowledge of wedding cake assembly and decor
- Ability to work under pressure, handle multiple tasks and difficult situations
- Knowledge of operating all kitchen equipment, i.e.: sheeters and mixers
- Basic mathematical skills, i.e.: ability to do basic conversions
- Outstanding organizational, communication and leadership skills
- Ability to bend, stoop, stand, lift 50 pounds and push carts weighing up to 200 pounds
- Ability to speak, read and write English
- Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays
Education: Pastry diploma or degree preferred
Experience: Minimum of 5 year’s experience with a good working knowledge of the fundamentals of cooking, baking, and pastry
Licenses or Certificates: N/A
Must be able to lift 50 lbs
Loews Hotels is a vibrant collection of one-of-a-kind hotels with distinct personalities. Each hotel and resort offers high-quality accommodations, impressive surroundings, personalized service, and thoughtful amenities for a luxurious guest experience. As a company we care about our guests, our community and our team members.
Headquartered in New York City, Loews Hotels manages properties in most major markets in the U.S. and Canada. Each property goes beyond Four Diamond standards to provide guests with a supremely comfortable, uniquely local travel experience at a great value. Loews Hotels boast prime locations in the cities of New York, Washington DC, Denver, Los Angeles, Nashville, Philadelphia, Annapolis, Montreal, and Quebec City, as well as world-renowned vacation destinations such as Miami's South Beach, Universal Orlando, New Orleans, Tucson, and California's Coronado Island. Loews has established some of the industry's most innovative and successful travel programs, including Loews Loves Kids for families and Loews Loves Pets for discerning animals on the road.
At Loews Hotels, our team members' commitment to our guests and dedication to our communities is cherished. We seek genuine individuals who are able to engage and delight our guests by providing Four Diamond AND MORE service. We invest in training and development opportunities for all team members, so they may grow and develop as individuals. We embrace diversity at our core and offer the opportunity for all team members to reach their potential as professionals. At Loews Hotels, we seek to create a dynamic culture that makes work interesting, challenging, fulfilling and fun.
As part of our commitment to our team members, Loews Hotels is proud to offer competitive compensation and benefit plans tailored to each marketplace. These include:
- Pay that meets or exceeds area standards
- Retirement (401-K) and incentive plans
- Medical and dental coverage
- Short and long-term disability
- Life insurance
- Holiday and vacation pay
- Team member assistance plans
- Career development programs
- Tuition reimbursement programs
Loews Hotels is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse work culture, M/F/D/V