The new Residence Inn by Marriott is currently being constructed in downtown Calgary. It will bring 390 modern long-stay suites to Calgary’s downtown area. The hotel will cater to business and family leisure travellers looking for an extended-stay hotel as well as to groups and meeting attendees with a 6000 sq. ft. Conference Centre. We are looking for a dynamic individual to join the sales team as Events Manager.
Guestrooms will feature full kitchens and separate living and sleeping areas and provide seamless connectivity to the home and office with complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi throughout, free hot breakfast daily, complimentary grocery delivery, 24-hour onsite food and beverage market, health and fitness options and comfortable public areas, including a terrace lounge and roof deck for relaxation and socializing.
Reporting to the Director of Sales, The Events Manager will oversee the day-to-day operations of the Conference and Catering Services and ensure that the clients’ expectations are met by delivering quality guest service. The primary focus of this position will be to ensure conference and catering details for clients are managed efficiently and in accordance with sales office procedures. Accuracy and attention to detail are paramount, this role requires independent decision-making, working with minimal supervision and the ability to multi-task.
The Event Manager duties will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Execution of event files including meetings with clients, menu planning, creating event orders, creating meeting floor plans, etc. in a timely manner within established timeframes and within the Marriott standards and guidelines
- Prepare catering contracts and invoices; secure deposits
- Ensure accuracy for event orders and floor plan process
- Request and compile customer feedback of events from both external and internal sources
- Coordinate effective strategies to resolve client service issues
- Establish technical awareness and competency in all building operations which, when coordinated effectively, will assist staff, clients and contractors in the performance of their tasks and the success of related functions.
- Attend client related pre-convention meetings
- Maintain ongoing contact with active accounts to promote repeat business and solicit new business from local prospective customers.
- Respond to inquiries from internal and external clients in a timely fashion.
- Show banquet facilities to prospective clients
- Coordinate with Operations Department to ensure client requirements are met or exceeded.
- Conduct post-event customer satisfaction surveys and report results.
- Assist DOS in preparing annual budgets to ensure results.
- Yield manage function space in accordance with rooms and sales division to ensure budget and goal requirements are met
- Prepare and distribute the monthly catering forecast
- Act as the Marriott Meetings Imagined Property Coach responsible for maintaining brand standards in accordance with the program guidelines.
- Maintain contact with active accounts to proactively promote repeat business and solicit new business from local prospective customers
- Be familiar with accounting procedures and comply with internal related systems.
- Perform general administrative duties as required.
- Must be able to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and have a thorough understanding of Marriott policies and procedures.
- Must be neat and professional in appearance.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in food and beverage and/or catering and banquet services.
- Excellent oral/written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to perform in a team environment with minimal supervision.
- Sales and up selling skills required.
- Ability to produce quality and timely results in a fast paced environment.
- A thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Delphi software knowledge an asset
- Ability to work outside regular office hours on occasion.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The chosen incumbent must be able to interact with both external customers, all levels of management of the hotel and all other related stakeholders with the utmost of professionalism.
For interested candidates, please forward your covering letter and resume directly to:
Lori Jennison, Director of Sales
Residence Inn by Marriott Calgary Downtown