Dramatically poised at the edge of the Pacific Ocean on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, Terranea's 102 acres are infused with the elegance of a classic Mediterranean estate, the casual energy of coastal Southern California, and countless ways to spend your days - all tied together with authentic, genuine hospitality and a deep respect for this irreplaceable oceanfront setting. A gracious, old-world ambiance permeates the grounds, from the resort lobby and outdoor gardens, to private terraces and inviting courtyards with outdoor fireplaces.
Located just south of Los Angeles, Terranea offers a 582-room resort, including a luxurious collection of residential bungalows, casitas and villas. The resort features a host of world-class amenities, such as The Links at Terranea, an award-winning 9-hole, par 3 golf course, the spectacular Spa at Terranea, three ocean view pools, family-friendly activities, and a collection of eight distinctive restaurants, bars, cafés and lounges.
Job OverviewManage the Engineering operations for interior/exterior facilities including electrical, refrigeration, plumbing, heating, cooling, structural, ground care, and parking areas. Manage other engineering work necessary to maintain the property in an optimum and efficient condition to ensure the safety and comfort of guests and employees. Plan, direct, coordinate, or budget, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.Essential Functions
- Assist Chief Engineer
- Provide pre-construction services support
- Manage contract and communicate issues including document controls
- Define Scope of project and identify delivery dates that impact schedule
- Purchasing of trades and materials
- Maintain knowledge of hotel features/services, hours of operation, daily house count and expected arrivals/departures, etc. to ensure work orders are scheduled around critical times.
- Management and scheduling of project – understand manpower, materials applications, building code issues, and risks
- Managing Change Orders, Achieving substantial completion, Aggressive punch list completion
- Inspect and maintain all building systems and life-safety systems to insure minimum down-time, expense and discomfort to our guests.
- Achieve objectives through direction and delegation. Ensure employees maintain safe conditions and procedures in work areas and other associated areas
- Set standards for the department in image, appearance and grooming; properly represent the property and the profession to outside organizations; return business telephone calls the same day.
- Maintain a productive weekly work schedule and manage payroll to achieve forecast. Manage the purchasing, inventory and price value relationship of all parts and tools.
- Oversee maintenance of plumbing systems, grounds and landscaping, swimming pool water features, HVAC systems, Kitchen facilities, refrigeration systems, laundry facilities, electrical systems, sewage systems. Coordinate carpentry projects and control all painting and decorating projects.
- Practice emergency procedures in compliance with hotel/company standards; react and assist in hotel emergency situations as needed.
- Engineering Degree or equivalent vocational training preferred.
- 6+ years of experience in building maintenance and supervisory capacity preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in construction and construction management preferred.
- Certified in (at least 3) hotel engineering/maintenance positions preferred.
- Knowledge of all technical aspects of engineering/maintenance (i.e. mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC).
- Ability to communicate with engineering team members, hotel guests, contractors, vendor and suppliers.
- Ability to provide legible communication