REPORTS TO: General Manager
SUPERVISES DIRECTLY: Maintenance Associates
Purpose for the Position: To maintain and supervise the maintenance operations for the Hotel, i.e., refrigeration, heating, plumbing, heating and cooling plant operations, energy controls and efficiency, etc., maintaining standards as required.
- Provides professional and courteous guest service at all times.
- Supervises maintenance operations for center, including but not limited to refrigeration, heating, plumbing, water treatment, preventative maintenance, Hotel front and back of house spaces, A/C units, ice machines, lighting, kitchen equipment, emergency generators, water softeners, switch rooms, roof exhausts, electrical substations, fire and life safety systems, and other systems and equipment owned, leased or managed by the Hotel.
- Monitors electric, gas, oil and water consumption on a prescribed basis.
- Ensures that all purchased services, electrical, plumbing, cleaning etc. are performed in a manner that exceeds exhibitor and client expectations.
- Supervises assigned associates: hiring, terminations, performance evaluations and development.
- Ensures all projects are completed according to specifications and are completed on time.
- Works closely with Housekeeping/Environmental Services to ensure coordination of activities.
- Coordinates with Security to maintain key inventory for all locks.
- Trains center staff in emergency procedures.
- Aids and instructs craftsmen in scheduling work, ordering material and completing assignments by a specified date.
- Meets with architects to discuss blueprints, contacts contractors to submit bids for new projects, and meets with construction supervisors to discuss difference phases of work.
- Obtains bids and contracts for all items placed under a maintenance agreement as well as landscaping and snow removal contracts.
- Develops and maintains an ongoing maintenance program for guestrooms, meeting rooms, public space back of the house spaces, kitchens and all Hotel equipment.
- Performs inventory and purchasing duties as required.
- Develops department budget.
- Maintains cleanliness of grounds and attractiveness of landscaping.
- Ensures cleanliness and orderliness of all work space and storage areas.
- Acts as Administrator on Duty as required.
- Conducts monthly department meetings.
- Attends weekly staff meetings.
- Complete projects as determined by the General Manager.
To do this kind of work, you must be able to:
- Must have NYC FSD certification.
- HVAC experience required.
- Understand the technologies required in the work you are directly.
- Plan and direct the work of others, either directly or through lower level supervisors.
- Work with a variety of situations.
- Solve problems using facts and personal judgment.
- React quickly in emergency situations and make decisions that may involve a great amount of money or the safety of others.
- Work with different kinds of people.
- Be available on nights, weekends and holidays.
Physical Demands: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing.
Environmental Conditions: Both: Inside and outside: A job is considered "both" if the activities occur inside or outside in approximately equal amounts, approximately 75% or more of the time inside.
Noise and Vibration: Sufficient noise, either constant or intermittent, to cause marked distraction or possible injury to the sense of hearing, and/or sufficient vibration (production of an oscillating movement or strain on the body or its extremities from repeated motion or shock) to cause bodily harm if endured day after day.
Temperature Changes: Variations in temperature which are sufficiently marked and abrupt to cause noticeable bodily reactions.
Math Skills: Requires mathematical development sufficient to be able to: Compute ratio and proportion and percentages. Calculate surface, volumes, weight and measures.
Language Skills: Must have developed language skills to the point to be able to: Read instructions, safety rules, etc. Write reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar, using all parts of speech. Speak with poise, voice control and confidence using correct English and well-modulated voice.
Relationships to Data, People and Things:
Data: Coordinating: Determining time, place, and sequence of operations or action to be taken on the basis of analysis of data; executing determination and/or reporting on events.
People: Supervising: Determining or interpreting work procedures for a group of workers, assigning specific duties to them, maintaining harmonious relations among them and promoting efficiency. A variety of responsibilities is involved in this function.
Things: Handling: Using body members, hand tools, and/or special devices to work, move, or carry objects or materials.
Specific Vocational Preparation: Specific Vocational Preparation includes an occupationally significant combination of: vocational education, apprentice training, in-plant training, on-the-job training, or essential experience in less responsible jobs which lead to the higher job or serving in other jobs. Over 2 years up to and including 4 years