Banquet Cook - DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago - North Shore Conference Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago - North Shore Conference Center
Location: US - IL - Skokie
Banquet Cook II
The Banquet Cook II role is responsible for preparing ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food. Wash and peel fresh fruits and vegetables. Monitor food quality while preparing food for banquet functions.
Essential Functions include (but are not limited to):
- Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food before use.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes.
- Serve food (for example, soup, desserts, sides, entrées) in proper portions onto dishes, plates, mugs, and bowls, ensuring proper plate appearance.
- Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish to be served to waiters or patrons, according to standards.
- Ensure food storage areas are clean.
- Prepare all potentially hazardous foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP guidelines.
- Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption.
- Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications.
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to facility management.
- Report maintenance issues immediately to appropriate personnel (i.e., management or maintenance).
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of company Food Safety Programs within assigned area of responsibility, as well as all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Ability to work under demanding and strenuous situations.
- Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared and the portions that are served in to control food waste and ensure that good food is not thrown away.
- Be able to support any position in the Kitchen that is in need of help.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- Food Service Sanitation License highly desired (or the ability to obtain required)
- Previous experience within a fast-paced kitchen highly desired
- Strong Communication Skills - ability to read/write basic English
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, manage time and work well under pressure
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment
- High School Diploma (or equivalent education/experience)
- 2+ years of experience in a kitchen environment required, previous hotel/kitchen experience helpful, but not required
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and otherwise transport up to 50 pounds to every area of the kitchen. Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 3 to 4 feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, etc.).
- Ability to lift, pull and bend continuously throughout a shift
Hospitality is a 24/7 industry therefore, candidates should be able to work weekends and holidays as needed.
EOE - M/F/D/V/SO