A Premier Hotel Management & Investment Company with Strategic Vision and Strong Core Values
Since 1987, Pacific Hospitality Group has maintained a strategic vision and strong core values as guiding principles for business success. With luxury hotel properties from Napa Valley to Southern California, PHG's growing portfolio of hotel and resort investments reinforces the company's cohesive vision and ensuing success.
PHG manages, develops, finances, and owns hotels and resorts located in California, Hawaii, Arizona and Louisiana. We currently own and manage 11 hotels and resorts, representing over 2,676 rooms and 203,650 square feet of premier indoor meeting and event space.
Accounting Manager - The Meritage Resort and Spa
Are you a strategic thinker and enjoy analyzing data in order to contribute towards process improvement? Are you an analytical individual who enjoys a variety filled environment? Are you a quality-driven leader with attention to details?
If the answer is YES, The Meritage Resort and Spa is looking for you! Just like the wine that inspired its name, The Meritage Resort and Spa is the perfect blend of wine tasting, dining, spa, beautiful event spaces, romance and indulgence— all in one California Wine Country hotel.
Manages the daily operations and objectives of the property's accounts receivable function to ensure proper invoicing and collection of accounts Builds and manages teams effectively. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, internal controls and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training team members. Recommends applicants for selection. Plans, assigns and directs work. Recommends performance ratings. Recommends merit increases, promotions and reclassification. Determines work quality expectations and sets deadlines. Analyzes data and maintains hotel's accounts.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Supervises subordinate Accounts Receivable team members. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training team members. Recommends applicants for selection. Plans, assigns and directs work. Recommends performance ratings. Recommends merit increases, promotions and reclassification. Determines work quality expectations and sets deadlines.
- Monitors and develops team member performance to include, but not limited to, providing supervision, scheduling, conducting counseling and evaluations and delivering recognition and reward.
- Manages hotel/club accounts receivables. Processes credit applications, conducts credit checks, invoices and directs collection efforts. Verifies and balances credit card merchant statements.
- Reviews Group Sales Contracts as they are signed and in collaborates with Sales managers to collect all advance deposits as they come due. Ensures all commissionable groups are properly entered into accounting systems.
- Collaborates with appropriate accounting and sales staff to verify all Sales incentives are paid correctly per contract/plan.
- Ensures billing of group master accounts is accurate. Audits periodically to ensure accounts remain current and takes action to collect on past due accounts.
- Reviews payments and adjustments posted in general ledger to ensure all are accounted for and properly posted. Investigates and verifies account discrepancies.
- Prepares monthly reconciliation/analyses of all receivable accounts where necessary and when needed.
- Assists in the preparation and distribution of reports generated by the department, including monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports.
- Resolves customer complaints and anticipates potential problems by reviewing and monitoring complaints, operational issues, business flow and team member performance to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction and quality. Notifies Management and/or Security of all unusual events, circumstances, missing items, or alleged theft.
- Follows all safety policies and procedures. Reports potential safety issues to manager whenever observed and takes immediate action to resolve in emergency situations. OSHA laws require the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when performing work duties that have the potential of risk to your health or safety. Team members will be trained in the proper use and care of assigned PPE if applicable. The hotel provides the required PPE. Team member has responsibility to report defective, damaged or lost PPE or equipment that does not fit properly to their Manager. Maintains strict compliance with hotel's Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) program and familiarizes self with current MSDS.
- Reporting to work as scheduled (on time and on regular basis) is an essential function of the job.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Makes merit decisions within budget or established guidelines. Determines promotions or reclassifications within company policy.
- Approves leave and time away from work within company policy.
- Identifies opportunities to improve business processes. Initiates policies and procedures for those improvements.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
Qualifications (relevant experience, education and training):
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), or equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor's degree in Business or Hospitality Management desired.
- Five or more years of related and progressive accounting experience in similar organization. Two years as a supervisor/manager in similar setting desired.
- Requires ability to lead others in the department by mentoring and providing training that results in staff that meets/exceeds guest expectations and provides a high level of guest satisfaction.
- Must have excellent customer service/communication skills to work with guests of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds for the purpose of resolving problems/complaints and providing a high level of guest satisfaction.
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Must be able to solve problems and remain calm and alert if dealing with difficult guest, during busy activity periods or in an emergency situation.
- Requires ability to use computers programmed with accounting software to record, store and analyze information. Requires working knowledge of MS Office applications and ability to learn and use telephone and computer systems used at the hotel.
- Completes all required training as scheduled.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple tasks. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand English to understand instructions, safety rules, and communicate with guests.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, team members, guests and the general public. Must be able to speak, read, write and underst and English to communicate with management, team members and guests.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, team members may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. Work schedules will include working on holidays, weekends and alternate shifts.
- Must maintain a clean appearance and professional demeanor.
Special Skills & Abilities/Mental and Physical Demands:
While performing the du
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.