5 Dynamic Influencers to Follow on Social Media if You Work in Hospitality
Social media influencers are a mainstay of all travel and hospitality marketing. They typically have a niche such as luxury travel, family travel or cruising.
But in the hotel industry, they were also on the receiving end of some of pushback last year following media reports of hoteliers decrying innumerable requests for free stays from social media influencers. After a luxury Dublin hotel publicly announced a ban on all influencers last January, The Atlantic published a report in June about the struggle luxury hotels face in coping with influencer requests.
But despite the blowback, the hotel industry at large continues to value social media as a marketing vehicle as well as the influencers who hold sway in the medium. So if you’re planning a future working in the hotel industry, here are five hotel influencers that you might consider following for their top picks for hotels as well as their takes on industry trends.
- @LuxeTiffany: Tiffany Dowd is the president and CEO behind luxury social media enterprise LuxeTiffany. Find her brand on a variety of social media channels, including Twitter, where she has over 77,000 followers, Facebook, where her page has more than 171,000 likes and Instagram, where her following is in excess of 45,000. With experience as a hotel experience, Dowd’s luxury hotel expertise stems from her writings for The Telegraph, USA Today and US News and World Report.
The website is www.LuxeTiffany.com
- @JohnnyJet: After traveling more than 150,000 miles a year during a 10-year period, Johnny Jet began sharing tips with friends on how they too could rack up rewards miles and points. The circle of friends began to grow and today, his platforms’ advice, tips and “inside scoop on how to travel economically, comfortably, efficiently and with plenty of style” has garnered him over 118,000 followers on Twitter, almost 3,000 followers on Facebook and close to 30,000 Instagram followers. He is definitely a go-to source for breaking hotel industry news.
The website is www.johnnyjet.com.
- @ThePointsGuy: Founder and CEO Brian Kelly initially created a blog dishing out advice on earning pointed and miles from a range of industries including travel and credit cards. He launched the website in 2010 and today, the brand attracts seven million unique visitors a month, with a social media audience of three million across Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Twitter. His site is popular with both hotel industry insiders as well as hotel aficionados for its tight news features and select videos, tips for maximizing hotel-branded credit cards, hotel reviews and current points valuations for just about every major hotel brand’s loyalty program.
Find the website at https://thepointsguy.com/.
- @sassychris1: Christina Tan is a Travel + Leisure Social Ambassador who began her career in the fashion and then translated that experience to become a renowned luxury travel photographer. The Indonesia-based influencer has more than 43,000 likes on Facebook and over 560,000 followers on Twitter. Her hotel coverage is limited to the crème-de-la-crème of hotel brands and often, she showcases almost exclusively what the industry most exclusively luxury hotel brands have to offer in Asia, the Middle East, Europe and the U.S.
Her website is www.sassychris1.com.
- @luxurytravelexpert: This social media influencer has a YouTube.com channel with over 270,000 subscribers. For hotel industry job candidates, it’s a great place to go for virtual tours of some of the world’s most high-end as well as exotic hotels. While this influencer has a Facebook page with more than 14,000 likes, it has a comparatively miniscule following on Twitter and Instagram. The power of @luxurytravelexpert is rests predominately with its YouTube video content.
The website is https://theluxurytravelexpert.com.