15 Statistics on Restaurant Management Salaries
By Angela Rose, Hcareers.com
Few industries offer the astounding metaphorical ladder climbing opportunities of the restaurant industry—where dishwashers and servers can work their way up to restaurant managers. This kind of advancement is a reality, not a fairy tale. In fact, according to the
National Restaurant Association, 80 percent of all restaurant owners began their industry careers in entry level positions like these.
Restaurant management professionals are in high demand as well. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 320,600 professionals employed as ‘food service managers,’ including restaurant managers, in 2010. The pay isn’t too shabby, either—especially for a career requiring little more than accumulated experience. Of course, a postsecondary education in hospitality or food service management doesn’t hurt your chance of securing the best paying positions.
Want to learn more about restaurant management compensation? Here are fifteen statistics culled from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Hcareers.com and several online pay aggregating websites.
1. Average salary range for a restaurant manager: $21,746 - $53,352
2. Median salary for a restaurant manager: $38,368
3. Average salary range for restaurant manager positions posted on Hcareers.com: $35,000 - $100,000
4. Percentage of restaurant managers earning less than $46,000: 75 percent
5. Percentage of restaurant managers earning more than $53,000: 10 percent
6. Average salary range for a female restaurant manager: $25,141 - $49,973
7. Average salary range for a male restaurant manager: $29,304 - $52,994
8. Average salary range for a restaurant manager with less than one year of experience: $23,386 - $42,037
9. Years of experience required to earn the highest restaurant manager salaries: 20 years or more
10. Average salary range for a restaurant manager in a company with 50 to 199 employees: $28,826 - $51,712
11. Average salary range for a restaurant manager in a company with 5,000 to 19,999 employees: $33,996 - $56,223
12. Three cities with the highest restaurant manager salaries: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago
13. Three states with the highest restaurant manager salaries: New York, California, Illinois
14. Three degrees with the highest restaurant manager salaries: BA Psychology, BS Restaurant and Food Service Management, BS Business Administration
15. Segment of industry with the lowest average salary range for restaurant managers: Bar and nightclub
Whether you’re looking for your first position or the next rung on your personal career ladder, start your search at Hcareers.com where you’ll find more than 300 restaurant management positions at some of the best establishments in the nation.
Read more restaurant career tips. Find more restaurant jobs by visiting the career center.
About the Author
Angela Rose researches and writes about job search strategy, career management, hiring trends and workplace issues for Hcareers.com.
Related Restaurant Career Articles:
• Advice for Finding, Landing a Restaurant Job
• Compensation Myths and Mistakes: Don’t Let These All-Too-Common Blunders Undermine Your Salary Strategy
• Top 3 Pieces of Career Advice from Restaurant Pros